Fall Bright, The Winemakers Shoppe  
10110  Hyatt Hill, Dundee, NY 14837    Finger Lakes NY   607-292-3995
near Wayne, NY
overlooking Keuka Lake  
Coordinates: 42.490863, -77.117778         

BLOG

 F 

VIEW YOUR CART mobile check out 

OPEN
Friday and Saturday

& by appt
shipping supplies daily

  

 

 

BREWERS ALERT:
Hop Toxicity in Dogs
 

Dispose of sparged hops in a secure and safe fashion.  We (Tom and Marcy from Fall Bright) do not know if this toxic response would take place in children. Crosby and Baker, Ltd, Westport, MA passed along the above information to us. 

  

Unbeknownst to most vets, at least eight cases of hop toxicity
in dogs have been…. 

  

Hops Toxicity in Dogs 

  

We have received a report from a brewer whose dog died as a result of eating the spent hops from a 15-gallon batch of Irish Stout.

Unbeknownst to most vets, at least eight cases of hop toxicity in dogs have been recorded by the National Animal Poison Control Center at the University of Illinois in Urbana, IL. Seven of the dogs have been Greyhounds, with one remaining case being a Labrador Retriever cross.

Ingestion of hops results in malignant hyperthermia, an uncontrollable fever. The first symptom to become obvious to an owner is heavy panting. Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat) will also be present, at up to 200 beats per minute. Temperature may rise as quickly as a 2 degrees F every five minutes. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood rise dramatically. Recommended treatment seems to be cold-water baths to keep temperatures down, and a quick trip to the vet for temperature control and antibiotics.  


The most basic lesson to be learned from all this is that brewing chemicals, ingredients, and spent materials of all types should be stored, handled and disposed of properly. Animals and children make toys and food out of anything they can reach.

Even empty brewing vessels can pose a threat if used improperly and can become the focus of a household accident. Note, for example, the child-warning label required in California on all buckets. It's our responsibility it seems, to inform the consumer that any vessel larger than a child's head and without enough leaks to drain completely before drowning can occur can pose a threat to children. In fact, it's the parent's or the pet owner's responsibility to look after the welfare of the loved ones.

Departments

May Your Wines Fall Bright!