Toxicity in Dogs:
We have received a report from a
brewer whose dog died as a result of eating the spent hops from a
15-gallon batch of Irish Stout.
Unbeknownst to most vets, at least eight cases of hop toxicity in
dogs have been recorded by the National Animal Poison Control Center
at the University of Illinois in Urbana, IL. Seven of the dogs have
been Greyhounds, with one remaining case being a Labrador Retriever
Ingestion of hops
results in malignant hyperthermia, an uncontrollable fever. The
first symptom to become obvious to an owner is heavy panting.
Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat) will also be present, at up to 200
beats per minute. Temperature may rise as quickly as a 2
degrees F every five minutes. Carbon dioxide levels in the
blood rise dramatically. Recommended treatment seems to be cold
water baths to keep temperatures down, and a quick trip to the vet
for temperature control and antibiotics.
The most basic lesson to be learned from all this is that brewing
chemicals, ingredients, and spent materials of all types should be
stored, handled and disposed of properly. Animals and children
make toys and food out of anything they can reach.
Even empty brewing vessels can pose a threat if used improperly and
can become the focus of a household accident. Note, for
example, the child-warning label required in California on all
buckets. It's our responsibility
it seems, to inform the consumer that any vessel larger than a
child's head and without enough leaks to drain completely before
drowning can occur can pose a threat to children. In fact,
it's the parent's or the pet owner's responsibility to look after
the welfare of the loved ones.
Please dispose of any brewing ingredients in a secure and safe
fashion. We (Tom and Marcy from
Fall Bright) do not know if this toxic response would take place
Crosby and Baker, Ltd, Westport, MA passed along the above
information to us.
Hop Toxicity Page 2 Medical back up